Authors: Nick Hubel

Meet Jayson Foster, the best football player you’ve never heard of:

Three-thousand, six-hundred forty career rushing yards, 1,992 career passing yards, 4.34 second 40-yard dash time and 78 career touchdowns (51 rushing, 15 passing, 5 receiving, 1 kickoff return and 2 punt returns).

But those are just the numbers.

“He’s an absolute freak. Nobody knows how he does what he does. I don’t think he knows. He’s amazing. He’s a great athlete, and to be completely honest, he’s a better person than he is an athlete. He’s an awesome person to root for,” teammate Chris Covington told the Statesboro Herald earlier this season.

At 5-foot-9 and 164 pounds, the senior quarterback/running back/wide receiver has been shattering the Georgia Southern, Southern Conference and NCAA record books for four years.

Foster holds the Georgia Southern records for punt return yards (single game, season and career), kick return yards (single game, season and career), consecutive games with a rushing touchdown (12), most single game rushing touchdowns (6), most points in a single game (36) and most pass receptions in a game (9), just to name a few.

Before you go blind on statistics, know this: Foster is the only player in Division I history to record at least an 80-yard reception, rush, pass completion, kickoff return and punt return in his career.

“He’s about as quick a player as you’ll ever see. As quick as anybody anywhere including Southern Cal and Oklahoma,” Costal Carolina coach David Bennett told the Myrtle Beach Sun Times earlier this year.

So, how will the Rams, a team built on solid tackling in lieu of speed, play a talent like Foster?

“You can play four deep and watch for the pass, and if you cheat on their receivers, you get burned. But then, if you hang back, he’ll run,” CSU coach Sonny Lubick said. “I think we’ll play him more as a running back, but that puts you in a bind. Those kinds of quarterbacks give everyone trouble.”

This Saturday the Eagles will come out with a veer option look, forcing the defensive ends and linebackers to match up individually with Foster and the Georgia Southern running backs. This isolation is where the Rams could get into trouble, coach Lubick said.

“They run more of the veer and the option, but they’re still a good football team,” coach Lubick said. “Their quarterback gives everybody trouble. He’s quick, fast and can run the option. I was watching film, and in his last three games he’s had at least one 60-yard touchdown.”

Vitals:

Height: 5-9

Weight: 164

Class: Senior

Hometown: Columbus, GA

Position: QB

By the Numbers:

4.34 – Seconds he takes to run 40 yards

78 – Total career touchdowns

10 – Touchdowns in the first two games this season