Authors: Kayla Huddleston

The Rams have one more reason to beat University of Wyoming, and this time it’s not on the football field.

The longstanding rivalry has inspired an additional competition between the two universities in the form of a blood drive, allowing Ram fans to show support by bleeding for the green and gold.

The Garth Englund Blood Donation Center in Northern Colorado and the United Blood Services Center in Wyoming have recently teamed up to create the first Border War Blood Drive, allowing students to be a part of the competition and local medical centers to get much-needed donations.

“Not only are we playing off of the Border War game, but we usually need more blood during the holidays because there tend to be more wrecks and more injuries,” said Gary Kimsey, marketing coordinator with Poudre Valley Health Systems. “The need for blood is higher than it is the rest of the year, so we like to go into the holidays with an adequate supply.”

Seven locations in Loveland and Fort Collins will hold donation times in the Garth Englund bloodmobile through Wednesday, with an additional drive available on Tuesday in the Poudre Valley Hospital.

The first 350 people who donate at the bloodmobile during the competition will receive a Border War Blood Drive shirt sporting a CSU and Wyoming football helmet with the words “I bleed green & gold.” The shirts are not available at other locations.

“We hope to get at least 350 donors because we have 350 T-shirts,” Kimsey said “Or more. We are not going to turn anybody away. We love blood.”

The process takes only a few minutes and provides medical centers in the Northern Colorado area with a pint of blood for trauma patients.

The winning university will be presented with a traveling bronze heart trophy.

“CSU and Wyoming fans live and die by the annual pigskin war. In comparison, our competition is intense but friendly,” reads a Garth Englund press release. “The real winners will be patients who receive the donated blood.”

Individuals are eligible to donate blood if they are older than 18, or 17 years old with parental consent. Every person to donate also has to weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health.

Staff writer Kayla Huddleston can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Breakout:

Schedule for the Garth Englund blood drives for the Border War Blood Drive

/ Thursday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Atmospheric Sciences Building, CSU Foothills Campus

/ Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. First National Bank, 205 W. Oak

/ Monday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Savings Building Condos, 125 S. Howes

/ Tuesday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Café B room, Poudre Valley Hospital

/ Wednesday 8 a.m. to noon National Park Service, 1201 Oakridge Drive