Authors: Valerie Hisam

The 13th-annual Hip Hop Explosion weekend starts tonight with a Hip Hop Comedy Show presented by the Black Student Alliance (BSA) and the Association for Student Activity Programs (ASAP) in the Lory Student Theatre at 7 p.m.

Featuring three big-time comedians, Steve Brown, Big Sean and Double D, the show kicks off one of the last action-packed weekends before upcoming finals.

“This is one of the last weekends to have fun all weekend long,” said Lauren Morley, the comedy and lecture coordinator for ASAP. “It’s a way to help hype up the weekend by being a two-night event.”

Alongside the three comedy acts will be student rap and dance performances.

Quill Phillips, the vice president of BSA and a junior human development and family studies major, said the comedy show will hopefully be a “way to have people see comedy from another perspective than the mainstream Dave Chappelle comedy.”

Morley, a junior restaurant and resort management major, added that hosting the comedy show with BSA has offered a way to reach out to a diverse student body and the local community.

“This is a good way to market for people in both of our organizations,” Morley said. “Working with BSA on a comedy show was a good way to reach out to students.”

As a part of BSA’s Hip Hop Explosion weekend, the comedy show will lead off tonight and go into the Explosion step show that will take place Saturday night at the Lincoln Center at 7 p.m.

Brown will host the step show that features hip-hop dancing and moves. Tickets are on sale now for $15 and the show is open to the public.

With laughs and a hip-hop attitude, Hip Hop Explosion weekend will ignite as one of the last study free weekends for students, and will provide an eventful two nights for the community at large.

“[ASAP and BSA] reach out to two very different parts of the campus,” said Morley. “It’s going to be a good time and a good way for anyone to kick off the weekend.”

Staff writer Valerie Hisam can be reached at news@collegian.com.