Authors: Liz Sunshine

The editorial staff has had a long semester so far. Some editors have gotten to the point in which mystery meat from a chain fast food place has taken over as a staple in their diets.

Since mystery meat hasn’t been an acceptable meal since elementary school (seriously what was in those “sloppy joes”), I invited some of my fellow editors over for dinner Sunday night.

It was a spur of the moment sort of thing – I had invited them just before our Sunday meeting, so I pulled out my cookbooks and picked out a spinach-artichoke dip and an artichoke heart and mushroom chicken entrée. The best decision, though, was an apple crisp that my mom has made for as long as I can remember.

All of the recipes are good ones, but Colorado Cache’s Pike’s Peak Spiked Apple Crisp is always a hit.

I compiled a grocery list and headed off to the store.

The recipe calls for five cups of peeled, sliced apples. As a general rule, a large apple is about 2 cups sliced, a medium apple is about 1 1/3 cup sliced and a small apple is about 3/4 cup sliced.

I chose Granny Smith apples because I like their tartness, but Pippin, Jonathan and Winesap apples are what the cookbook suggests.

The other change I made was to the “spiked” part. Since it was Sunday and the only alcohol I have in my kitchen is vodka, I had to call Mom for some help.

For various reasons, my mom has made un-spiked crisp in the past and she said two shots of orange juice work out as a great substitute for all those who would prefer the under-21 version.

This is an easy recipe as long as you are willing to put up with peeling the apples (seriously, that’s the hardest part).

After that, it is just a matter of slicing the apples, combining the crumble topping and layering everything.

Once the crisp had been in the oven for about an hour, the smell of cinnamon could be detected throughout my apartment.

The real meal went over well Sunday night. The only food without leftovers though was the apple crisp.

I implore you this week, as really with all weeks, to take a break from mystery meat and try out real food – it will be good for you.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe

Colorado Cache’s Pike’s Peak Spikes Apple Crisp

Serves 8

5 cups peeled, sliced apples

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

1 teaspoon grated orange rind

1 jigger Grand Mariner (orange juice can be substituted)

1 jigger Amaretto di Saronno (orange juice can be substituted)

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

3/4 cup sifted flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

Cream, whipped cream or ice cream for topping

Arrange apple slices in greased, 2 quart round casserole. Sprinkle cinnamon, lemon and orange rinds and both liqueurs (or orange juice) on top of apples. In a separate bowl, mix sugars, flour, salt and butter with a pastry blender (a fork works just as well) until crumbly. Spread mixture over top of apples. Bake uncovered at 350/ until apples are tender and top is lightly browned, approximately 1 hour. Serve warm with cream, whipped cream or with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.