Authors: Sean Star

Even with 14 interceptions this year and a 7-19 record as a starter, it appears that senior quarterback Caleb Hanie will remain the Rams quarterback for the final three games of the season.

Two weeks ago, during a loss to Utah, Hanie was replaced by backup Billy Farris at the start of the third quarter with the two sharing playing time for the rest of the half.

Coach Sonny Lubick said after Saturday’s loss at BYU that Farris injured his throwing elbow late last week and would’ve been unable to play had anything happened to Hanie Saturday.

“Billy Farris, I think, will have an MRI (Tuesday),” Lubick said at his weekly press conference. “He didn’t play because there’s something wrong with his elbow. It could be serious. Hopefully, it may be nothing.”

Lubick said that in case of emergency, sophomore Grant Stucker would have played. However, Lubick said that Stucker, who has never appeared in a game for the Rams (1-8, 1-5), is not ready to play because of a lack of experience at practice.

“He’s probably anxious and would love to play, but from repetition standpoint, when you’re a No. 3 quarterback, you’re getting ready for No. 1 and 2 quarterback,” Lubick said. “He could go in and play, but you couldn’t expect him to play like a guy who’s been getting all the reps.”

Since Lubick took over as coach of the Rams in 1993, only Moses Moreno’s 30 starts are more than Hanie’s 29.

With the Rams’ losing season in 2007, Hanie will become the first quarterback under Lubick to not lead the Rams to a bowl game in his senior season.

Lubick said after Saturday’s 35-16 loss to BYU that Hanie was “the best friggin’ player out there today.”

The Rams will be on the road again Saturday, this time in Albuquerque, N.M., to face third-place New Mexico.

“I know they play very good at home. It’s not an impossible task,” Lubick said. “It’s not so much them as us. How we do it, execute and eliminate the big plays. Then you take your chances from there.”

Sports Editor Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.