Letters to the editor

This is just like the “First amendment rights” that were hotly debated last month.

Having free speech/whatever doesn’t mean you aren’t free from the consequences.

It’s rated AO, so the U.K. and Australia have banned it, Wal-Mart and Target have banned it, Nintendo’s banned it, I think even Sony and Microsoft are considering banning it – and I can see why.

I wouldn’t want whack-jobs like Jack Thompson or Joe Lieberman giving me bad press.

Jason Steele

Microbiology major, freshman

I just read your article in the Thursday edition about censoring video game violence and I am really glad to see someone has taken a fair and level headed analytic view of both sides of the argument.

As a gamer, yes I have an extensive collection of many games that plenty of parents would love to have banned and then burned down the companies for producing them including but not limited to: Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Grand Theft Auto (pick a version, I have it), Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and plenty others.

While yes, some of them do push the envelope a bit too far sometimes, you’re right, games don’t shape people and they are a release and entertainment media, not a manual on how you should live your life.

The fact is that for every single parent that wants to blame the people that makes these games for the corruption of their children I have this to say, “If you don’t want your kid to have access to the violence/suggestive themes/drug reference/alcohol reference/whatever else that can be experienced on a game platform, then don’t get them one.”

I think you are right, the parents have the responsibility to raise their kids how they think they should be raised and not just chance that everything is going to be ok by doing nothing and then blame everyone else when it doesn’t turn out that way.

Brilliant Mr. Elder, brilliant.

Chris McGill

Open Option, sophomore

Once again your paper has embarrassed the entire university.

I am NOT talking about the now famous “Taser this … ” editorial. I feel that was a wonderful and shocking expression of free speech that is refreshing and got people talking.

I am talking about the headline “Braiden fire raises saftey concerns.”

Right now in my email it is telling me that “safety” is not even a word! Don’t you have spell check? How did your editors or proofreaders meet the requirements to attend CSU?

See, your continued poor quality is an embarrassment not just to the paper, but to the university as a whole! People read the Collegian and this reflects on the whole university.

People outside of CSU will conclude that our school is full of idiots that can’t even spell the word safety! It’s not that hard! You are cheapening the value of a CSU degree.

Jerry Overmyer

Graduate Student and Faculty Instructor