Hoops fever hits Fort Fun

Congratulations to former CSU hoops star Jason Smith. The Kersey, Colo., native made his NBA debut with the Philadelphia 76ers Wednesday evening in Canada, scoring four points and grabbing four rebounds.

While we wish Smith would’ve stayed for his senior year, we do hope he enjoys a successful future as a pro. Make CSU proud, J-Smooth.

And if Jason becomes the player some think he can, we hope he doesn’t forget where he came from.

Speaking of hoops, the CSU women’s basketball team played its first game of the season Wednesday night in Moby Arena, losing to Metro State, 55-42, in an exhibition game.

The men’s team will start its season tonight at 7 when its hosts Metro State.

With so many new faces on both rosters, it may be hard for Ram fans to get excited for either CSU basketball team this season.

But fear not. The Collegian has three great reasons why fans should get hyped up.

3. Kandy Beemer: The junior college transfer led the entire nation last year in 3-point shooting and should make it rain inside Moby all winter long for the women’s team.

2. Stuart Creason: The 7-foot senior has improved vastly from his days as a freshman and has the size to be one of the best big men in the conference.

1. Men’s coach Tim Miles: The athletics department made a great choice in hiring Miles last spring. The first-year head coach has energy for days and is determined to turn around the men’s program.

Those are just three of the many reasons why the Green Machine needs to be stronger than ever this season.