Thriller dances hit campus

Authors: Valerie Hisam

Come for chills, thrills and dance moves at the student recreation center’s annual Thriller Dance event tonight at 8 p.m.

Known as the “zombie” dance made famous by Michael Jackson, any student or recreation center member can come learn all of the steps to have fun for free.

“This is a way to bring people together,” said Mel Smith, a group fitness instructor at the recreation center and one of the lead instructors for the Thriller dance. “It’s a fun and free activity that is something other than going to Halloween parties.”

Smith, a junior accounting major, helped teach the dance last year and found that with all of the crazy zombie and Michael Jackson costumes.

“There’s no way people won’t have fun,” she said.

Now an annual tradition, the Thriller dance will be held in the recreation center’s main gym. Participants are encouraged to dress up as zombies, or anything, for prizes and giveaways.

Smith said that even if someone doesn’t feel they can dance, “it is about having fun,” and she added that with all of the crazy costumes, students are bound to anyway.

“It’s like the exact same dance that Michael Jackson does and a lot of people can get intimidated,” Smith said. “It’s just so much fun, and we teach it really slowly so it’s not difficult. It’s just a fun thing to do.”

Verve reporter Valerie Hisam can be reached at verve@collegian.com.