Authors: Kyla Hunt

The month of October has brought insight to the Fort Collins street community through actions, entertainment and education of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender community.

Pride Alliance Rally, Lesbian March on Washington, “Butch is a Noun,” and “Gaybutante” are just a few of the various enlightening activities that have been happening throughout the CSU campus for GLBT History Awareness Month.

In 1994, Rodney Wilson, a Missouri high school teacher, strongly pushed for a month that would be dedicated to celebrating and teaching of GLBT history. He gathered teachers and others within the community that was in support of the GLBT historical influence.

The designated month of October has been proclaimed the GLBT History Month because public schools are in session and existing traditions, such as Coming Out Day (Oct 11), occur then.

“GLBT History Month is really vital, not necessarily to the GLBT community, although it engenders a sense of pride in our accomplishments, but moreover because its kind of a historical “queer appear” since the street communities get to have an idea of the great positive impact that GLBT has had on their lives,” said Colin Strack, a CSU alumnus and volunteer staff member for GLBT. “As opposed to the GLBT population being typically so invisible to the straight community.”

According to Equality Forum’s Board of Directors and National Board of Governors, in 2006, they voted unanimously to coordinate GLBT History Month, modeling it on Black History Month and Women’s History Month.

The goals of the GLBT History Month aspire to teach GLBT history through representation of role models and emphasize the GLBT community’s importance regarding national and international contributions.

“Holy crap! I didn’t know Lily Tomlin and Cary Grant were queer,” said Luke Usery a junior food science and human nutrition major.

“As two GLBT individuals, we were unaware that it was GLBT history month until the office informed us,” said Usery and Adam Eidelberg a junior political science major.

S. Bear Bergman, a writer, theater artist and a “gender-jammer” came to CSU during the National Coming Out week of Oct 8. Bear often lectures at colleges and universities regarding issues relating to gender and sexuality.

Introducing the gender-neutral pronoun of “ze hir,” Bear tours the country, inspiring and informing audiences across the US and Canada. “An example of “ze hir” would be look like this: “ze went to the store to pick up hir prescription,” said Gabe Case a senior interior design major and student coordinator for GLBT. These pronouns neither disclose nor imply the gender or sex of the person.

Along with that, more and more appreciation is being surfaced with the idea of polyamory. Discussed by the 8th Annual Diversity Conference, the discovery of polyamory was in 1982, yet revealed to the indifferent public body of the street community as a novelty idea just recently.

Polyamory is a lifestyle in which a person may have more than one romantic relationship, with consent and willingness expressed for this choice by each of the people concerned. Polyamory is differentiated from unfaithfulness by the presence of honest communication between partners and lovers about the existence of each of these relationships in their lives.

As GLBT History Awareness Month comes to a close, Wednesday will feature a GLBTSS Study Night in the LSC office from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. where the office will be themed around the Disney movie Fantasia.

“It would be cool to do Spartans as our theme, yet the 300 comic strip was very heterosexually centered,” said Case. “In reality, the history of Sparta is not heterocentric. Sparta is very accepting and encouraging towards the GLBT community.”

Staff writer Kyla Hunt can be reached at news@collegian.com.