Authors: Ryan Nowell

The Hatton Gallery will be showcasing a new exhibit on the modernist photography of Germany’s Bauhaus school and Russian artist Georgi Zelma today through November 16.

The free exhibit, called “Unconventional Visions: Photographs from the Bauhaus, Moscow and Tashkent,” features work taken between 1919 and 1937, a critical time for the development of photography into an art form. The advent of the camera at that time had already destabilized an art world heavily rooted in representation, and as advances in technology brought greater mobility and picture quality, photography began to flourish as a means of expression and technique.

The Bauhaus, a German art school of the same period that primarily dealt with architecture, was renowned for its ethos of functionality. It was felt that the artist should be just as well versed in the technical aspects of their craft as they were in the creative. And, because of this, Bauhaus artists found the hands-on, mechanical element of photography appealing.

The exhibit shows how the sparse, angular style of the school’s architecture rubbed off on its photographers.

The other half of the display focuses on famed Russian/Uzbek photographer Georgi Zelma, whose career ranged from magazine and travel photos to some of the most memorable shots from WWII. Steeped in modernist style, Zelma documented some of the twentieth century’s big moments, but also provides the viewer with an intimate look at life in Russia and Central Asia at the height of Stalinist rule.

Staff writer Ryan Nowell can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

Hatton Gallery Hours:

9am-4pm weekdays

1pm-4pm Saturday