Authors: Sean Victor Star

The CSU women’s cross country team made history Saturday by winning the Mountain West Conference Championship for the first time in in the conference’s nine-year history.

“This is an extraordinary effort,” coach Brian Berryhill said in a statement released by the university. “… The girls stepped up and won it on pure desire. This is a great moment for this team and for this program.”

The Rams outran Brigham Young University, which had had its consecutive conference title streak snapped at 19.

Like she has all season, April Thomas paced the Rams, winning the individual title with a time in 21 minutes, 20 seconds in the 5-kilometer race hosted by the University of New Mexico.

“”Last night it kind of hit me that this is my last year,” Thomas said in the statement. “This is the best team I have been on and we couldn’t wait to get out and run. There is a big smile on my face that won’t go away. It really hasn’t hit yet. When I looked back and saw Kirsten I was almost happier for her than I was for me. My sister finished as our fifth point scorer. This is just a great day.”

Thomas was named athlete of the year for her impressive season, which continues Nov. 10 at the regional championships in Ogden, Utah.

Other Rams receiving personal recognition include coach Berryhill (women’s coach of the year), Jake Keyser (men’s freshman of the year) and Allison Gohl (women’s freshman of the year).

Keyser and the rest of the CSU men’s team finished fourth at the championship.