Authors: Shannon Hurley

For the seventeenth year in a row, the family-oriented, college-friendly breakfast and lunch restaurant, The Egg and I, has been voted the best breakfast in Fort Collins by CSU students.

The College Avenue location, the first of the now franchised restaurant, opened in 1987 by owners Patty and Ray Seaser.

Patty Seaser believes it is the food and service that sets her breakfast place from the rest, she said.

“We pay infinite attention to detail in the front and the back of the house and we value what we do,” Patty Seaser said.

The menu features personalized touches such as whole-wheat pancakes and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Patty Seaser estimates the country kitchen style restaurant has served as least four and a half million eggs since the first day the doors opened.

Contrary to what the name implies, non-egg lovers don’t have to go hungry, as the restaurant caters to a wide variety of tastes featuring numerous ingredients and options.

“I’m not a huge egg fan but their menu has a lot of choices… I wasn’t stuck with an omelette,” said Moses Mok, a technical journalism major and Egg and I patron.

Laylah Bowes, who has been serving at The Egg and I for the past four years has observed that CSU students are “always here on Saturdays and Sundays.”

Steady streams of students in search of hearty and replenishing meals flow into the restaurant mid-morning to afternoon on the weekends throughout the year, she said.

Patty Seaser maintains the restaurant’s accessibility for college students who may be on a budget.

“We think that we give them a lot of food for their money. We really value them,” she said.

And regularly supplying students with coupons in the booklets handed out throughout campus is the least Patty Seaser believes the restaurant can do to repay the community.

“We feel very fortunate that Fort Collins has been so good to us,” she said.

As a part of their commitment to the community, the restaurant provides a scholarship to CSU students through the hospitality program as well as involvement in fundraisers with organizations associated with the school such as Athletes in Action and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Special owner recommendation was given to the huevos rancheros breakfast dish, while Bowes said her favorite is banana walnut pancakes.

“It’s not on the menu anymore, but they still make it,” Bowes said.

Second place breakfast honors went to Lucile’s, a breakfast and lunch restaurant located on South Meldrum specializing in Creole menu items and large portions.

Third place breakfast honors went to Farmer’s Table, a breakfast and lunch restaurant located on South Taft Hill featuring traditional American fare and affordable prices.

Staff writer Shannon Hurley can be reached at news@collegian.com.