Authors: NICK SEBESTA

There’s nothing like a sweep on Thursday over a rival on national television and a record-setting match against a conference opponent on Saturday to keep a winning streak alive.

Simply stated: the CSU’s women’s volleyball team is dominating the competition this year, sweeping Brigham Young University out of Moby Arena last week and getting revenge on the University of Utah two nights later, proving coach Tom Hilbert’s squad is the best team at CSU.

When CSU went to BYU back on Sept. 22,, the match went five games with CSU coming out with the win.

Rumors were swirling around that BYU was not happy with CSU knocking them out of the national rankings in that match, which led to the Rams being ranked 23rd in the nation.

Fast forward a couple weeks and the Rams are now ranked 18st in the nation, and BYU is still out of the top 25.

BYU came into Moby last Thursday looking for a little revenge.

Both teams are considered the best in the Mountain West Conference and the stage was set for another long and hard fought match. But what did the Rams end up doing? They ended up sweeping BYU in front of a home crowd of 3,932.

The match was a very close one, but the thing about this CSU volleyball team is they are able to get the win even when it’s close. They battle back when they fall behind and end up defeating the competition, as the best team at CSU should.

If you don’t believe me, then consider this: the Rams have only lost four matches this season and only one since their season-opening tournament in Hawaii. CSU now has an overall record of 15-4 and is first-place in a very tough Mountain West Conference with a record of 9-1.

The Rams only conference loss this year was to Utah, who CSU lost to in four games to back in late September.

Saturday it was Utah on the road as they entered Moby Arena, where the Rams have yet to lose all season.

The CSU veterans really took a hold of the match and proved that CSU is worthy of its national rank. Mekana Barnes, Tonya Mokelki and Jaime Strauss combined to kill the Utes up front.

It was the defensive play, though, that made any non-volleyball fan take notice. The Rams amassed 20 team blocks, which was their second-best blocking match so far this season.

The star for the Rams Saturday was Ashley Fornstrom, who had her second-career triple-double with 14 digs, 52 assists, and 10 blocks. It would’ve truly been a shame if she wasn’t named Mountain West Conference player of the week for her performance against Utah and BYU, but thankfully she was on Monday.

The win over Utah also marked the 450th career victory for coach Hilbert, which is pretty much an amazing feat for any coach.

These wins are just more reasons why CSU Volleyball is basically the best team on campus and kind of a big deal.