Authors: Matt Stephens

The Colorado State swimming and diving team defended its annual Early Bird Invitational title this weekend at the Edora Pool and Ice Center by accumulating 1,274 points over 40 events.

Ram swimmers finished six events in first-place, which included two relays by the freshman-sophomore quartet of Nicole Lynch, Emily Mohlzahn / Michelle Price, Gisella Cionci and Jennifer Muniz, who out swam their closest opponents by more than seven seconds.

Freshman Maddie Gamble’s most impressive race was on Friday evening when she placed first in the 500-yard freestyle over teammate Kathleen McCleary by 0.04 seconds, setting a personal record with a time of 5:07.58. While it looked like the race was going to be a repeat of Thursday’s 500 at Moby Pool with McCleary and Texas Christian’s Jessica Miles swimming neck-and-neck to the end, Gamble made a dead sprint the final two lengths of the pool to come from third and claim first.

In diving, senior Elyse Hall placed second in both the 3-meter and 1-meter events with scores of 244.50 and 235.00, respectively. Freshman Cori Swango made an impressive turnaround from her first two dual meets against Boise State and TCU to place third overall in 1-meter diving with a score of 227.70.

“We’re pretty solid in every area and placing in relays will take care of itself,” coach John Mattos said. “We’re pleased we came out on top; we didn’t expect it, we worked for it.”

CSU has its first road test of the young season this weekend as the team travels to San Diego, Calif., on Saturday to take on San Diego State, Air Force and New Mexico in a quad dual meet hosted by the University of California at San Diego.