Q & A with Ashley Tolber

Authors: Laurel Berch

The big, yellow hat is jumpin’ and jivin’ this week as the Collegian talks with Swing Dance Society of CSU President Ashley Tolbert to get the inside scoop on her favorite places in town to bust a move, grab a bite and where students can learn to swing dance. Tolbert is majoring in biology with an anatomy and physiology concentration as well as working toward a minor in biomedical sciences.

Q. How did you get involved with swing club?

A. My freshman year, one of the guys I lived in the dorm with had been (involved in the club for a year) and kept asking me and another girl to go check it out. After a couple weeks we finally decided to go and I actually haven’t missed a week since then . I kind of fell in love with it.

Q. What is your responsibility as president of swing dance society on campus?

A. I help coordinate dances on Wednesday nights and the couple of big dances that we do every semester. And I help as a go between for outside organizations that ask for us to be a part of a fundraiser or do a performance or be part of one of their events. But primarily coordinating – I try to do some fun stuff on campus.

Q. What is the most beautiful place you’ve ever traveled?

A. Probably the north side of Kauai. I went there a couple years ago with my family. It’s gorgeous.

Q. What are some of your other hobbies?

A. I read a lot. I swim. Getting involved in Premedica. Ski. I do two other types of dancing, also. A very little bit of ballroom and some blues, but not a lot.

Q. What do you think is the best restaurant in Fort Collins and what would you order there?

A. I would have to go with Spoons, and (I would order) chicken noodle soup.

Q. Do you prefer Facebook or MySpace?

A. Facebook.

Q. What applications have you added on your Facebook profile?

A. I think I added virtual bookshelf, one of the superpokes, horoscope, I like music application and one of the movie ones.

Q. What is your astrological sign?

A. Pices.

Q. Do you think your horoscope is accurate most of the time?

A. Not really. Mostly I (read) it for entertainment value.

Q. What is your most embarrassing moment?

A. Probably as a freshman in high school I broke my wrist because I ran into a brick wall. I was chasing somebody in gym class and wasn’t paying attention because I was talking to someone behind me and turned around and the wall was right there. So I put my hand out and broke my wrist. Having to explain that to the doctors was really fun.

Q. What would you say is the best way for students to get involved in Swing Dance Society at CSU?

A. Find a Wednesday night that you’re not doing anything and come to the student center and stay for a lesson. We always encourage people to come. It’s just like anything else. Show up, try it and see if you like it.

Q. Where do you think is the best place to dance in Fort Collins?

A. I go to Avo’s a lot on Monday nights. The Rio is fun on Tuesday nights because they have salsa. But, honestly, I don’t go to that many clubs.

Q. What are your future goals?

A. Academically, to finish my undergrad here, go to medical school, and hopefully end up (working) in surgery – either orthopedic or emergency.

Q. What is the most significant thing you’ve learned from being in school?

A. Perseverance. That it gets hard and you have to keep trying, and eventually you get through it. Hopefully you learn something else in the process.

Q. What is the coolest thing that you’ve ever done?

A. This is really going to make me sound like a nerd, but I followed an overnight ER shift at one of the hospitals in Denver. This guy came in with a pretty badly broken leg and they needed an extra pair of hands. I actually ended up getting to help set and stabilize his break and ended up getting to watch his surgery and watch him get through that. This makes me sound like a complete nerd and an obsessive pre-med kid!

Let us know who you’d put the big, yellow hat on by contacting staff writer Laurel Berch at news@collegian.com.