Authors: Matt Stephens

After an impressive 142-89 season-opening victory last Friday evening over Boise State, the Rams swimming and diving team hosted its second dual meet of the young season Thursday afternoon against conference foe Texas Christian University. The Rams completed another dominating performance with a 144-90 victory at Moby Pool. It was the 196th career victory for 28-year tenured head coach John Mattos, and he couldn’t be more pleased.

“Today started off with what I thought was going to be a real tight and real emotional meet, and it proved our team’s depth with the way that we were able to perform.” Mattos said. “I couldn’t be happier or prouder of our kids right now, but we have to keep this going.”

Going is something sophomore Kathleen McCleary most certainly did at the dual meet. After winning the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:31.90, McCleary took her cool-down, then immediately hopped back onto the starting block for the 200-yard freestyle. As if swimming close to 1,200 consecutive yards in less than 13 minutes was not enough, six events later McCleary placed first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:11:10.

“I had never done that before so [Coach Mattos] said, ‘let’s give it a try and see how you do.'” McCleary said. “In the 1,000 (freestyle) I was just going to cruise to conserve my energy for the 200, but I gave it my all and in the 500 (freestyle). I knew I had nothing after that so I decided to give it my all as well because I just want to win for the team.”

The Rams look to defend their crown tonight at 5and all day Saturday in the Annual Early Bird Invitational at the Edora Pool and Ice Center. Joining CSU in competition this weekend are Mountain West Conference foes TCU, Air Force, and Wyoming, as well as local rivals Colorado, Northern Colorado, Colorado School of Mines, Mesa State and Metro State.

“Our work ethic has to continue to bring out the potential in these young athletes because we are predominately a freshman and sophomore group.” Mattos said, “We have great leadership in our senior captains and enough depth in our juniors. Right now we have no weakness, but weakness could prove out against teams like BYU, UNLV and Utah later in the season so we just have to keep our focus and keep going.”