Authors: Aaron Hedge

An internationally renowned clown doctor who travels the world promoting better

health care systems through humor, love and empathy will be advocating his unique campaign at CSU next week.

Thursday evening marks the beginning of CSU’s contribution to Hunter “Patch”

Adams’ “What is Your Love Strategy?” campaign, unofficially coined Patch Adams week.

Tonight’s free screening of the Robin Williams movie that made Adams famous, “Patch Adams,” heralds Monday night’s feature event, when Adams will come and speak to the campus community. The movie will start at 7 in the Lory Student Center (LSC) Theater.

The screening also begins a weeklong campaign to promote Adams’ cause to create a better health care system in the U.S. through personable care methods.

Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE), the organization that sponsors the events, said that the 1,168 tickets for Adam’s speech sold out extremely fast.

“Tickets were probably 85 percent gone before we even put posters up on campus,” said Bobby Kunstman, associate director of co-curricular leadership at SLiCE.

However, students can come just before the event to see if there are any seats open.

Next week is full of opportunities for students to participate in a community service campaign to help local health services.

Wednesday and Thursday students can volunteer to play BINGO and be companions for the elderly at Blue Grouse Health Care Center. Friday, students can help do community service at Hartshorn Health Services and the Hospice Center of Larimer County, helping the elderly or doing general maintenance on the buildings.

“These have to do with helping people,” said Jake Blumberg, public relations coordinator at SLiCE, “which is something that Patch Adams really believes in is helping people beyond just writing a check . really caring about people and helping people. And in that spirit we decided to do some service opportunities through our office.”

All CSU students are eligible to volunteer and can sign up at the movie screening, at Adams’ speech or in the SLiCE office in the LSC.

Kunstman believes Adams will give a message that students can relate to and that students will be excited about him speaking. He said SLiCE chose Adams because students could relate to his message.

“A lot of people see what Robin Williams as the character did in the movie, so they associate that automatically with Patch Adams,” Kunstman said. “But I think there’s a lot more to him and I think hopefully he’ll be able to deliver that message when he comes in on Monday.”

Senior reporter Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.