The winds of change are blowing, and the Collegian newsroom is catching the breeze.

Popular Comedy Central talk show host Stephen Colbert announced Tuesday that he will indeed be running for the office of President of the United States after toying with the idea in a few interviews recently.

The Editorial Board would like to extend our strong endorsement to this thrilling candidate.

Many of you may think it’s a bit early in the race to be offering up an endorsement to a candidate, but Colbert is not just an average candidate.

He is the epitome of America – brash, unapologetic and unwavering in his opinions, even if all evidence points to the contrary of his conclusions.

His bid could revolutionize the way we see our presidential candidates. Colbert, for the first time in American history, will be running as both a Democrat and a Republican.

In this way, rather than forcing his supporters to choose between him and their party, they can do both. Unless, of course, he has supporters in the Green or Libertarian parties, but let’s face it, nobody takes them seriously anyway.

There will surely be naysayers that point to Colbert’s lack of political experience or to the fact that he’s a comedian.

To those detractors, we only have this to say: we usually end up voting jokers into the White House anyway.

It would be nice to have somebody that’s at least honest about it for once.