Authors: Molly Armbrister

The Association for Student Activities Programs, or ASAP, is calling for all of CSU’s aspiring musicians to audition for the 3rd annual Origin Idol.

The auditions will be held Saturday in room 213 and 215 of the Lory Student Center. The contest is arranged similarly to the FOX hit reality show American Idol, except all of the songs performed in Origin Idol are original.

The auditions will be judged by a panel of CSU students, said ASAP Coordinator of Special Events Ashley Blocton, and each judge comes from a different background.

Those who perform well at their auditions will move on to further stages of the contest, which will be held on November 2 and 9.

The winner will be announced on November 9, and will be awarded one of two prizes and the second prize will be given to the runner up. There will also be a raffle of various fifty-dollar gift certificates for audience members.

This event is similar to Battle of the Bands, which will be held later this year. Battle of the Bands is meant for bands play cover songs, while Origin Idol is meant for the singer/songwriters on campus.

This event can be particularly entertaining for students because it showcases such a wide variety of musical talents.

“Its interesting because you get a different perception of everyone’s music,” said Christina Hoover, assistant coordinator of special events for ASAP.

This event aims at providing an opportunity for CSU’s aspiring musicians to get campus-wide exposure for their music, as well as get valuable performing experience that will serve them well in the future. And ASAP is hoping for many people to take advantage of the opportunity.

“It would be more fun if lots of people signed up,” Hoover said.

Students can sign up in the ASAP office located in the basement of the LSC.

Staff writer Molly Armbrister can be reached at news@collegian.com.