Authors: Sean Reed

Something fishy’s going on in the Interfraternity Council.

Monday, after rejecting bids for two consecutive semesters by ousted fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon to rejoin the council as a colony, once again giving it university recognition, the delegates of IFC finally relented and allowed the men of SAE to return to campus.

While I applaud the decision of the Council, albeit a bit late, in my opinion, I can’t help but get the feeling that there is something else going on.

The situation under which this vote came about was unorthodox, at best.

Last week, a representative for the Sigma Chi Fraternity introduced the idea of allowing SAE back into the IFC.

This is strange for two reasons.

It is extremely out of the ordinary for a fraternity to petition for recognition on the behalf of another. It is doubly unusual for it to happen after a petition for membership has already been denied in a semester /- as to my experience as a former fraternity president, chapters typically only make one attempt per semester, though I’m told they can attempt every two weeks.

What’s even more interesting, however, is the fact that five chapters were ineligible to vote on this particular day – Alpha Gamma Ro, Fiji, Delta Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Delta Tau Delta, said IFC President Jared Quintana.

These chapters were denied vote Monday because they have fallen behind on their chapter’s dues to the Council.

To anyone even tangentially involved with Greek Life, the exclusion of the Delts from the vote is a huge deal.

It is common knowledge that they and SAE are rivals of sorts, and when I sat in at the last IFC vote on SAE, the Delt president was leading the charge against readmitting the fallen fraternity. Before the meeting, he could be seen discussing the issue in whispers with other delegates and was the first person to speak out against SAE.

Making matters even murkier is the fact that the man in charge of collecting IFC dues, Vice President of Administration Alex Monceith, is a member of the same chapter that pushed for a revote.

It is extremely interesting that a chapter obviously in support of the SAE’s included a member privy to information regarding different chapters’ eligibilities to vote. This combined with the fact that the vote came at a time when SAE’s opponents were out of the loop could indicate some slight of hand is afoot.

According to the IFC bylaws, in order for any chapter to become recognized, they must be approved by a 3/4 vote on the IFC floor. Last time, this ratio failed to be met, but it is unclear by how much the vote failed because of a motion on the floor to keep the vote confidential.

This time, the eight chapters eligible to vote accepted the bid unanimously and in the open. However, if the other chapters barred from the decision were given a voice and chose to vote against, SAE would have just fallen short of gaining recognition.

It’s enough to lead one to question if SAE’s supporters found a way to outsmart detractors.

Either way, the fact remains that the men known for their golden lions are back, at least for now.

As dictated by Article IV, Sections 5 of the IFC constitution, SAE will be given “associate member” status until next semester. They can achieve full membership if they pay 50 percent prorated dues to IFC, meet the University’s registration requirements and submit their chapter constitution, financial information, officer roster and a list of members.

After all this is done, there will be a final vote, again on the basis of 3/4 approval, for them to be a fully recognized chapter.

I wish them the best of luck in this final hurdle. Hopefully, when given full voting rights, the other chapters won’t hold you back.

As for the other chapters, congrats on fighting the good fight. I can’t prove that you did anything sneaky, but if you did, I congratulate you again.

Welcome to the world of politics, gents – you’ve done well.

Editorials editor Sean Reed is a junior political science major and the former president of the Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity. His column usually appears Mondays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.