Kubiak will take redshirt

Authors: Jeff Dillon

If there is a silver lining to the Rams’ injury woes so far this season, it’s that two of their lost players will be getting an extra year of eligibility.

After senior tight end Kory Sperry announced he would take a medical redshirt following his season-ending knee injury in week 2, the Rams got some more good news Monday.

Junior safety Klint Kubiak, who has not played since being briefly hospitalized with a bleeding ulcer before the Rams’ Sept. 22 game at Houston, will be awarded a redshirt season, according to coach Sonny Lubick.

Kubiak will have two full seasons remaining with CSU after this year.

“Last Wednesday it came on the radio that the doctors decided that Kubiak would be better off taking a redshirt,” said Lubick during his weekly press conference Monday.

Kubiak finished first on the team with 90 tackles in 2006, and had 12 total tackles in the Rams’ first two games this season.

The Rams are also missing starting safety Mike Pagnotta, who injured his left ankle against Texas Christian Sept. 29.

Pagnotta said last week that he remains confident he can return soon.

Those injuries are two of many for CSU this season, the most recent of which was suffered by senior wide receiver Johnny Walker.

Walker suffered a sprained MCL and a severe ankle sprain in his left leg Saturday against Air Force.

Lubick said he did not have any further news on Walker or any of the other injured Rams as of Monday.

“I haven’t heard anything new about Johnny Walker and I really can’t say anything on the other guys,” he said.

The injury bug appears to have grown into an epidemic for CSU, which struggled a year ago after losing starting running back Kyle Bell for the season and battling through key injuries throughout the year.

Yet Lubick said he believes his team, off to an 0-6 start and in the midst of a 13-game losing streak, is still working hard.

“A question that will come up is the state of the football team,” Lubick said. “I still feel that we’re playing in ways pretty well, or with heart. If you can’t play with heart, you can’t play in this game.”

The Rams next travel to take on the University of Nevada-Las Vegas this Saturday at 7 p.m.

Sports writer Jeff Dillon can be reached at sports@collegian.com.