Rams lose 13th straight

Authors: Sean Star

Senior quarterback Caleb Hanie threw four interceptions and the Air Force Falcons ran for 385 yards in a 45-21 Air Force victory Saturday night at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium.

The loss marked the 13th in a row for the Rams dating back to last season, which remains the second-longest streak in the nation.

Thunderstorms delayed the start of the game by 45 minutes, but it took the Falcons only seven minutes to take a 14-0 lead.

Air Force wide receiver Chad Hall had a night to remember, setting the Academy record for most rushing yards in a game with 262. Hall carried the ball 31 times and scored four touchdowns.

“They just kept the ball all day on us,” said Rams coach Sonny Lubick.

The Falcons passed the ball just five times, but AFA senior quarterback Shaun Carney needed only one pass to get his name in the record books, setting the school record for most career passing yards in the first quarter.

Carney, who was unaware of the record, gave all the credit to Hall.

“He’s an explosive guy when he gets the ball in his hands,” Carney said. “.I was just glad we won tonight.”

CSU got within a score late in the first quarter with a 4-yard Gartrell Johnson touchdown run, but a pair of Hall touchdown scores in the second quarter gave the Falcons a 28-7 lead going into halftime-an advantage that was never seriously threatened by the Rams.

Johnson, who started in place of Kyle Bell, had a career game with 147 yards on 25 carries.

Despite Hanie’s struggles Saturday night, he remained the Rams’ quarterback up until the last possession of the game. Hanie has now thrown an interception in nine straight games and has 31 picks in his last 29 games.

CSU wide receiver Damon Morton caught a 7-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter to make the score 28-14, Air Force.

The Falcons would then add a 52-yard field goal and 35-yard Carney touchdown pass before the end of the third, giving Air Force a commanding 38-14 lead.

Matt Rupp recovered a fumble 48 yards for a touchdown early in the fourth, one of the lone bright spots for the Rams defense all game.

CSU senior wide receiver Johnny Walker suffered a second-degree MCL tear in his left knee and an ankle injury during the same play in the first half. Walker did not return and his status to play next week in unknown.

CSU will try to break the historic losing streak next Saturday, Oct. 20 at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.