Authors: Laurel Berch

Christopher Durang’s dark comedy The Marriage of Bette and Boo, presented by CSU Theatre, is a lesson in the importance of paying attention to the needs of those around you as it reveals what can happen when people don’t. The play premiers at 8 tonight at the University Center for the Arts.

“It is autobiographically based on the childhood and family dynamic of playwright Christopher Durang,” said Senior Drew Cutherbertson, who plays Boo in the show.

Senior Jason Hill, who plays the narrator-son of Bette and Boo, Matt, said the play is a story of a dysfunctional family and a son looking back on his life and lessons learned.

“It is the first show that Durang ever wrote. It is absurdist so it’s exaggerated, but at its core this is how Christopher Durang lived,” Hill said.

Director Walt Jones chose to do the show because he had worked on it before and still sees its significance.

“Although the play was written 35 years ago, it is still a very rich play,” Jones said. “(Durang) has written many plays, but this remains, I think, one of his best plays because it’s a very complex treatment characters.”

The development and the presentation of the people in the play are very much like people today, he said.

Jones and Durang were classmates at Yale, and Jones was a part of the original cast and has directed it before.

“Sometimes it’s nice to go back to a production that you’ve done once before and do it again to see how you’ve grown and how the production changes from the first time you did it,” Jones said.

The Marriage of Bette and Boo originally started out as a one-act play.

“It has gone through a lot of evolutionary stages in its transition to a full length piece,” Cuthbertson said.

Jones said he thought of doing the show last year while he was directing another play because the group he was working with reminded him of the cast of Bette and Boo. The choice had “very much to do with this particular group of people,” Jones said.

“The cast has exceeded my expectations,” he added.

The cast is similarly pleased with their experiences working on the show.

“The dialogue is believable and the comedy is so clever and so well-timed, despite it being so dark,” Cuthbertson said. “When all of that comes together it makes for a great script. It’s been such a pleasure to work with.”

“It’s a very funny show, but a lot of people might not get the joke,” Hill added.

Staff writer Laurel Berch can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

BREAKOUT INFO:

Other show times are Friday and Saturday, Oct. 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. and on

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Oct. 17, 18, 19 and 20 at 8 p.m.

The last performance is scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 21 at 2 p.m.

The venue for the play is the Studio Theatre, University Center for the Arts (1400 Remington Street).

Tickets are $16, $14 for seniors and $7 for CSU Students and can be purchased at the Campus Box Office at the Lory Student Center, (970) 491-4TIX, or at http://www.csutix.com/.