Authors: NICK SEBESTA

It’s alright Ram fans, take a deep breath. As many of you witnessed, the football team lost its 12th straight game Saturday dating back to last season.

But no need to hit the panic button yet, there is still something to cheer about. Not that football is not worth cheering for, but there is another sport worth the student support that shows up to Hughes stadium every football weekend.

Throughout this season, the CSU women’s volleyball team has been consistently winning and outplaying the competition. The Rams’ record so far this season is an impressive 11-4, and they are undefeated in ten matches at home.

They have not just been winning, however; they have been dominating the competition that comes into Moby. The team now holds the best home record in the Mountain West Conference and has gone 20-4 in their last two seasons at home– not to mention that CSU is now the 23rd-ranked team in the nation and sits atop the Mountain West Conference standings.

What makes this team so much fun is the depth and skill at each position.

Veterans like Mekana Barnes and Jaime Strauss have both been named Mountain West Conference Player of the Week a combined four times so far, and Barnes even has been named National Player of the Week this season as well.

The season is not even half over, keep in mind.

Other players such as freshman Jacque Davisson and junior setter Ashley Fornstrom add electricity to the court, which makes any match great for the fans.

By the way, Barnes is now second in the nation in blocks and Fornstrom is seventh in the nation in assists.

This team is exactly what is needed for Ram fans that want to see a team win. The funny thing is, volleyball has been having this amount of success for some time now.

Under the leadership of coach Tom Hilbert, the Rams have reached the NCAA tournament 12 consecutive times. Hilbert also has been recognized as one of the best Division I volleyball coaches with a 261-64 record in his 11 years at Colorado State.

The community’s support for volleyball continues to be strong, and now it’s time for the student body of CSU to come up big and jump on the bandwagon. Because when this team goes as far as it can, you will want to say you were there. Odds are you will see a Ram victory.