Authors: Liz Sunshine

When my mom was growing up, the rule in the house was if you eat healthy foods for breakfast during the week, sweets were acceptable on the weekend.

The same rules stood while I was growing up. We would eat healthy cereal or bagels for breakfast during the week, but when the weekend came we would head to grandma’s house. Grammy would have lox and bagel to start, but the meal was always finished with Long John doughnuts.

We no longer eat Long Johns at Grammy’s house, but a new favorite has emerged.

Many years ago, my mother bought the Colorado Bed and Breakfast Cookbook that contained the recipe for Earthquake cake.

The recipe quickly became a family favorite and is generally demanded at family brunches.

While it is fantastic as a brunch dish, Earthquake cake was introduced to the newsroom just a few years back.

Before becoming a writer and editor for the paper, I worked for the production department, which is the team responsible for creating ads that run in the newspaper.

One of our other responsibilities was the “My baby’s graduating” section in the graduation special section. My boss called upon her staff to come in on a Saturday to create the baby ads, which was later called “Baby making day.”

As a baker on staff I decided to bring in my brunch favorite for our Saturday morning event and it didn’t take long until the cake had a new name.”Baby making cake.”

After that Baby Making cake made an appearance at every working Saturday.

While I was working in the newsroom Tuesday, a craving for the cake came over me, so I headed home that night to bake.

It had been a while (about two months) since I had taken the time to bake so I had to remind myself of a few things.

The most important of which is we live at high altitude. The best way to ruin a cake in Colorado is to forget that most recipes are created in low altitude places and they need to be adjusted (extra flour and water) to adapt to our thin air.

The other reminder is aluminum cannot be put in a microwave. When softening the cream cheese and butter just do it in a bowl together. Also avoid using generic cream cheese; for what ever reason (still doing research on this one), it does not hold up as well as the name brands when baking.

Outside of that, baking a cake out of a box can only sort of count as baking, so ease in the rest of this process is a given.

The cake was, as usual, a hit in the newsroom. I left with only two pieces left in my 13×9 pan.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

——————————-

Recipe:

Colorado Bed & Breakfast Cookbook’s

Earthquake Cake

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 cup flaked coconut

1 German chocolate cake mix

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 stick butter, softened

16 ounces powdered sugar

Spray a 13×9 pan with PAM cooking spray. Sprinkle nuts and coconut in the bottom of the pan. Mix the cake using box directions (don’t forget, you live at high altitude) and pour over nuts and coconut. Mix together cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. Drop cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls over the cake batter and bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes. Enjoy!