Authors: Aaron Hedge

Tickets are running out to see the clown doctor who says health care in America isn’t a laughing matter.

As part of a fund-raising campaign to build a national health care education center in West Virginia, CSU will host an Oct. 22 speech by Dr. Hunter “Patch” Adams, founder of the Gesundheit Institute (GI), an international health care improvement effort based in Arlington, Va.

Made famous by Robin Williams who portrayed Adams in the 1998 movie “Patch Adams,” Adams now travels the country and the world advocating for better health care by telling jokes and making people feel good, sometimes in full clown attire.

The event, organized by Student Leadership Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE), will last from 7 to 9 p.m. and will be held in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

Tickets are free to students and $5 for non-students. There are just over a hundred left, according to the Box Office.

The proceeds will help fund the GI Patch Adams Teaching Center and Clinic. The center will educate the public about the inadequacies of the U.S. health care system and what Americans can do to improve it.

It will be built on GI land in West Virginia.

Adams has been touring the country giving his lecture in an effort raise $1 million for the building.

Adams entered the health care industry in the 1960s as an advocate of health care through joy, comedy, fun and love. His vision is to provide a better health care environment around the U.S. – a country he said has a “sick” health care system.

Tickets are available at the Box Office in the Lory Student Center.

For more information, go to http://www.Patchadams.org.

Senior reporter Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.om.