Cans prepares for 20th year

Authors: Laura Anderson

The 20th Annual Cans Around the Oval, the largest one-day food drive in northern Colorado, is continuing to collect donations for the Oct. 11 food drive.

Chuck Gill, assistant director of the Food Bank of Larimer County, said last year’s Cans Around the Oval raised a little more than 140,000 pounds of canned food last year, up from 117,000 pounds in 2005.

“We’ve been growing at a phenomenal rate,” Gills said.

Camille Howells, program coordinator for SLiCE, said there is no specific goal for this year’s food drive.

“We obviously would love to beat last year’s total, but no matter what we bring in it’s so, so helpful,” Howells said, “I just want everyone to feel good about their contributions.”

Friendly competition is another part of Cans Around the Oval and offers a little extra incentive. The top donor will receive a traveling trophy, a statue made of cans.

Last year, the College of Business won Burt the Can Man by donating 43,268 pounds of canned goods, the largest donation in the food drive’s history.

The Associated Students of CSU are also doing their part to fight hunger in Larimer County. At their Oct. 3 senate meeting, they passed a resolution stating that ASCSU will match all donations received by today, up to 2,500 pounds.

“ASCSU wanted to take a larger role in the community,” said speech communications senior Mitch Trebesh, director of leadership development for ASCSU. “It promotes service, which is something ASCSU thinks is really important.”

Howells credits Cans Around the Oval’s success to the community’s desire to help others.

“I think people do genuinely want to be altruistic in something that’s bigger than themselves,” Howells said.

Cans can be dropped off at the CSU Oval between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday, at the Food Bank of Larimer County or arrange a pick-up for Oct. 11 by calling the SLICE office at 491-3579.

Staff writer Laura Anderson can be reached at news@collegian.com.