371 long days

Authors: Anica Wong

It came down to the last throw Saturday against the San Diego State Aztecs. As a Hail Mary pass from CSU senior quarterback Caleb Haine to wide receiver Luke Roberts fell to the turf, more than a year’s worth of defeat descended upon the heads of the Ram football team, giving the them its worst start to a season in almost two decades at 0-5.

There hasn’t been any celebratory dumping of water jugs and nothing to jump up and down for now in 371 days.

And it hurts more than ever.

“We are finding ways to not get the job done,” said senior safety Zac Bryson.

Other players mirrored the same sentiment, often with frustrated faces and voices.

“To lose this one, this is definitely the worst loss,” senior wide receiver Luke Roberts said.

At 12 games, the Rams’ downward spiral remains tied with Utah State for the second-longest losing streak in college football. Only Florida International’s 18-game skid is longer.

Some CSU players feel that they are doing all they can to get a win.

“I can’t even tell you how frustrating it is,” Bryson said. “Everyone is playing so hard.”

Others feel the team isn’t playing at its full potential to get that ever-elusive victory.

“I don’t really think it was (SDSU),” Roberts said. “I think it was us.”

Either way, after every game is over and another ‘L’ is penciled into the column, the pain continues.

“Every loss hurts,” defensive end Jesse Nading said.

But the focus now turns to Air Force, who will come to town Saturday. The Falcons (4-2, 3-1) have been somewhat of a surprise this year and will be looking to move up in the Mountain West Conference, where they currently sit in fourth-place.

Ironically, the Rams suffered their first loss that started the program’s longest losing streak in 20 years at the hands of the Air Force team.

So, the Rams will look to do all they can to get the win that seems out of reach.

“It’s gonna turn around one of these weeks,” Nading said.

Even after 371 days, there is confidence that a win will come to this team, who has suffered for far too long.

“Our desire to win will never change,” running back Kyle Bell said.

Ram fans can only hope Bell is right.

Sports reporter Anica Wong can be reached at sports@collegian.com