Vitals: Chuck Long

Chuck Long, San Diego State head coach

In its last home game, CSU welcomed in a Heisman-hopeful to Hughes Stadium in Cal’s DeSean Jackson.

Saturday, the Rams will host a runner-up to the Heisman award, but he won’t be playing.

He’ll be on the sideline.

San Diego State Head Coach Chuck Long, who brings in his 1-3 Aztecs against the 0-4 Rams, finished second in the 1985 Heisman voting as a senior quarterback at Iowa.

Bo Jackson, a running back at Auburn, snatched the trophy away from Long with the smallest margin of victory in the award’s 72-year history.

Now Long is attempting to turn around a SDSU football program that hasn’t had a winning season since going 7-5 in 1998.

The Aztecs are not off to a stellar start in 2007. Their only win came against Big Sky conference member Portland State, though they have played a top-notch schedule.

SDSU’s three losses came against Washington State, Arizona State and Cincinnati, games in which the Aztecs were outscored 131-53.

“We don’t like what our record is right now but that is over with and done,” Long said in his press conference Tuesday. “We played a tough non-conference schedule, No. 10 in the nation, and we hope that there is some sort of resolve down the road from our guys.”

Long has some talented players on his hands this season, including senior quarterback Kevin O’Connell, who is averaging 255 total yards per game this season.

Long said the Aztecs will be desperate for a win tomorrow, but so will the Rams.

“We have our work cut out for us going up against a Colorado State,” Long said. “They are a team that is hungry for its first win. They are a well-coached team, but we are hungry for a win as well, which should make for a good battle.”

Sports writer Jeff Dillon Can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

—————————

Vitals:

Age: 44

Year at school: 2

Record at school: 4-12

Playing career: 4 years at Iowa, 9 in NFL (Lions and Rams)

Alma mater: Iowa, 1985

By the numbers:

5: bowl games as a player at Iowa

1: national title as passing game coordinator with Oklahoma in 2000

45: number of votes he finished behind Bo Jackson for the Heisman in 1985, the closest-ever margin