Peace, Love, and Baseball

Authors: Caleb Thornton

Has anyone else noticed the amount of purple being worn around campus these days?

Or maybe you’ve seen the black and white pinstripe shirts, the numbered jerseys, or the black hats with a big C-R running across the middle.

I think it’s pretty safe to say it- students all across CSU have caught baseball post-season fever, and they got it all from the Rockies.

Before I go any further I should admit something: I am obsessed with baseball. More specifically I am obsessed with the Rockies. Those who know me know I love the game, but even they might not know how bad this addiction really has become.

And with the past couple of weeks going the way they have, it’s going to take years of rehab to recover.

But can you really blame me or any other Rockies fans for getting hooked?

After waiting 12 long years for a playoff caliber team, things were again looking dim this year, with only two weeks left in the regular season and the Rockies dropping to four and a half games behind in the Wild Card race.

Honestly, I thought that to make the playoffs the Rockies would probably have to win 11, maybe even 12 out of their last 14 games.

Turns out I underestimated.

The Rockies went on a roll, winning 13 of their last 14 games, and even that wasn’t enough to get them to the playoffs. But after an amazing, ridiculous, stupendous, unbelievable, stunning, I’m-still-screaming-my-lungs-out-about-it, come from behind victory in the bottom of the 13th inning against the Padres, Rockies fans finally have a chance to celebrate, and we are.

But what I love most about all of this is how the simple sport of baseball has brought together people from all over campus.

Those who regard themselves as the greatest of enemies may, by one swing of the bat, become instant allies in a game that, at the time, seems to be the only thing of any real significance.

It has brought together people who may have nothing in common, who may be pursing different careers, different majors, different goals in life, and who may disagree on every social, political, and economic question that exists to date, and united them under one common cause: the Rockies winning and the Yankees losing (sorry Yankees fans, but you either love them or you hate them, and you can imagine which category I fall in).

And yes, I know there will be some who will argue that this could be the case for fans of any sport, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. But baseball sticks out to me as the sport most able to bring people together for no other reason than a common love of the game.

For me, its nice to know that even with all the partisan bickering, fighting, and controversy that seems to surround our daily news (partisan fighting in which I have admittedly taken an active part in), from the first pitch to the last out none of it matters much.

On the diamon, balls, strikes, hits, and outs are the only things of any importance.

There is peace, love, and harmony in the world, even if for just a while.

Caleb Thornton is a political science major. His column appears occasionally in the Collegian. Joseph Haynie’s column, which normally runs Fridays, will return next week. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.