Authors: Tim Maddocks

This Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the initiation of three black Greek-lettered organizations at CSU. In 1982, Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority officially became the first three black Greek sororities/fraternities at the university.

Today, the seeds of these pioneers have grown into established organizations in the community and it will be celebrated with the annual Social Mixer in the Lory Student Center West Ballroom at 8p.m.

Jennifer Williams Molock, director of the office of black student services, described the upcoming event as a celebration of the success and continuation of the three Greek chapters.

“It is meant to be a time to have fun, laugh and celebrate,” Molock said. Sharmayne Syas, sophomore and black student services staff member, said the event is a tribute to the history of CSU’s black Greek organization.

Current members and alumni will both come together for the celebration.

“People can come see how many people have been through the chapters, see the history and celebrate with us,” Syas said.

Sonia ImMasche, director of Greek life at CSU in 1982, will be the keynote speaker. She was instrumental in bringing black Greek life to CSU.

Molock, a charter member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority said, “It was not easy to bring these chapters to CSU,” said Molock, who is a charter member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, the governing body for the nine historically black Greek-letter organizations, has been concerned in the past as to whether the chapters could survive with such few numbers of black students on a predominantly white campus.

There was also concern that the separate chapters would further divide the black community. But the Social Mixer is intended demonstrate how they have overcome these adversities and strengthened over the years.

The event will also be an opportunity for students, whether they are involved in the Greek community or not, to “observe, meet, and network with individuals who made a difference at CSU and continue to make a difference in the local communities,” Molock said.

Admission is $10 for students and $25 for non-students. The dress code is business-casual.

Staff writer Tim Maddocks can be reached at news@collegian.com.