Annual 5K race kicks off

Authors: Kyla Hunt

CSU’s annual homecoming 5-kilometer race to benefit the heart disease prevention program as part of the university’s Department of Health and Exercise Science will start Saturday at 7:45 a.m. on the Oval.

“We’re expecting 1,200 runners and walkers to participate in this event; lots of families, some of which might even be in costumes,” said Brian Butki, director of Youth Sports Camps and Activity Programs.

“The vast majority of the participants are not in it for the competition, it’s just a great way to start off homecoming day,” Butki said.

A kid’s fun-run event also will be held at 8:45 a.m. immediately after the 5k. Children younger than seven years old will run one lap around the Oval, and children nine to 12 years old will participate in a two-lap race. More than 300 children are expected for this year’s event, and Cam the Ram will be on hand to start the race.

Stacey Tullis, a sophomore health and exercise science major, said this will be her first year to participate in the annual race.

“I was motivated to run this year because I get extra credit in one of my classes, not to mention I ran cross-country in high school and loved it,” she said.

Race registration is $25 through today and $30 the day of the race. The entry fee includes a custom long-sleeve shirt. Groups of 20 or more registering together are $18 each.

“My friends and I registered for the race initially to push ourselves physically and support a great cause while sharing the event with the community,” said Melissa Peltzer, a freshmen art major.

“Among my friends, we wanted to make it more competitive, so we have started placing bets on who might win just to make the experience more fun,” she said.

Reporter Kyla Hunt can be reached at news@collegian.com.

—————————————–

To register for the 5K, visit http://hes.cahs.colostate.edu/CommunityPrograms/Homecoming/.