Top 5 Homecoming Events

Authors: Jeff Dillon

Homecoming is a tradition almost every university in the country celebrates annually.

But while hundreds of CSU alums will return this week for Homecoming Weekend, very few current students will be expected to attend the festivities.

But this could be the year you prove everyone wrong.

Here are the top five events you can attend this week to show your Ram pride.

5. Big Fan on Campus Competition. Thursday – 12:15 p.m. Lory Student Center Plaza: Here is your chance to test your CSU knowledge and cheer on others as they compete to be crowned CSU’s greatest fan.

According to the school’s Web site, participants will partake in CSU trivia and events including “pin the horns on Cam.” How could you miss that?

4. Moby Magic with Tim Miles – Friday, 3 p.m. Rockwell Hall Room 167: CSU’s new men’s basketball coach hasn’t even worked a game yet, but he has me pumped.

Whether you’re feeling down about the hoops team or that “D” on your business law exam, five minutes with Miles will fire you back up.

3. Ram Volleyball: Varsity Athletes vs. Alumni – Friday, 7 p.m. Moby Arena: Not only will you see the 25th-ranked team in the country, but you’ll also get to see some of the greats who helped the program get to where it is today, including Angela Knopf.

2. Homecoming Parade – Saturday, 9 a.m. Old Town: There is simply nothing more American than a parade, and there is no greater place for a parade than Old Town.

You may have to get up a bit earlier than your typical Saturday noon wakeup, but I promise it’ll be worth it.

1. Homecoming Football: CSU vs. San Diego State – Saturday, 3:30 p.m.: Yes, they may be 0-4, but this has all the signs of being the Rams turnaround game for the 2007 season. After all, the last Rams victory was on homecoming almost exactly a year ago to the date.

SDSU comes in at 1-3 and has allowed its four opponents an average of over 34 points per game.

So get to Hughes early and stay for the entire game, as hard as that apparently is, and finish off Homecoming Week with a CSU victory.

Someday, when you come back to Fort Collins for another Homecoming, you’ll remember 2007: the year you experienced all this weekend has to offer.

Or, if not, at least you’ll remember a good football game.

Hopefully.