Hangin’ off Horsetooth

Authors: Kris Cote

The Neptune Mountaineering Horsetooth Hang may not offer as much intense, chair-gripping action as Sylvester Stallone feeds us in “Cliffhanger,” but it can still fulfill CSU’s adrenaline junkies.

The non-profit climbing festival and trash cleanup will be at Rotary Park from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday.

Cameron Cross, a senior Spanish and international studies major and the main organizer of the Hang, said that it’s more than just a day if climbing and bouldering.

“The Hang is a great opportunity for students to go climbing, meet new people and be challenged on classic Horsetooth Reservoir climbs while helping support Colorado’s largest rock climbing stewardship project and raising money for a great cause that benefits the entire community,” Cross said. “The event is also a super fun, safe and encouraging environment to try climbing for the first time and there are tons of routes even the newest climber can make it to the top of.”

The money that is raised from the event goes to benefit the Access Fund, which helps to protect and maintain many natural areas for climbers.

Another portion of the proceeds goes to the Horsetooth Hang Educational Grant, which provides the winner with money to travel to another climbing destination where they can climb and work on a public service project such as trail cleanup.

Laura Peterson was awarded the educational grant last year and is helping to organize the event this year. Thanks to the grant money, she was able to travel to Duluth, Minn., and set up a “Crag Clean-Up.”

“Without the money I wouldn’t have been able to go,” Peterson said. “So it was nice because I really wanted to give back to that community.”

The event will also feature product demos, vendor booths and art displays. Also, the event’s founder, CSU alumnus Craig Luebben will be on hand to give a self rescue clinic in the afternoon.

Registration costs for the event are $25 for pre-registration and $30 the day of the event. However, Cross said that students can exchange volunteer work at the hang for a reduced entry fee.

“Three hours of volunteering reduces the entry to $15,” Cross said. “There is no charge for 6 hours of volunteering.”

Speech communications grad student Stephanie Whall, the event’s registration coordinator, said that the Hang is very important as the sport of climbing grows.

“As climbing becomes more and more popular as a sport in the U.S., it becomes increasingly important for climbers to be conscientious on the impact they are having to the environment around them,” she said. “This event not only brings the community of climbers together to celebrate the climbing, but it also invites climbers to take action to preserve our climbing areas.”

Once the festivities are finished, there will be an after party at Hodi’s Half Note.

For more information and regarding the Horsetooth Hang including registration and a map to the event, visit www.horsetoothhang.net