Authors: Kyla Hunt

The Warner College of Natural Resources has named two new department heads.

Sally Sutton, who is now in the Department of Geosciences and Kenneth Wilson, who is now in the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology.

Sutton first established herself with the Warner College of Natural Resources in 1992, where she contributed as associate dean and temporary dean of the college.

“She has a really strong commitment towards her graduate and undergraduate students; her dedication is just exceptional,” said Joseph O’Leary, the dean of the Natural Resources College. “As I looked to her to move the department forward, I knew she would provide an exciting learning environment.”

The Department of Geosciences at CSU is acknowledged for educating inculcated professional geologists, as well as its thriving applied and basic research programs.

The department centers on non-renewable natural resources – specifically water, hydrocarbons and minerals – that propose prime opportunities for the students regarding study and employment.

“I was not aware of the new departments that are developing in the College of Natural Resources,” said Lindsey Sputzman, a freshman natural resource management major. “Since I’m new to the College of Natural Resources, I think I have a disadvantage about not knowing all of the possibilities that my major could entail. However, I think the more specified the major can get, the more beneficial it will be for the student.”

The second addition to the College of Natural Resources is Kenneth Wilson, who has been part of the CSU faculty since 1991.

He has been commended for his dedication to students through awards such as Favorite Faculty in the Department of Fishery & Wildlife Biology in 2002 and 2004 and numerous others.

“[Wilson] has a real contemporary source that will add to his experience with curricular issues,” said O’Leary. “CSU’s wildlife program is viewed as being at the top of the heap; the best in the business. He has definitely helped build and maintain this department through his vision and his leadership.”

CSU’s Department of Fish, Wildlife and Conservation Biology is the only program in Colorado to offer thorough undergraduate and graduate degrees in fish, wildlife and conservation biology. The department has one of the oldest and most prestigious programs in the country and constantly ranks as one of the top programs in terms of scholarly efficiency.

“I think it’s going to be a better representation of what students will be learning and it will add certain depth to their majors,” said Doug Lesch, a junior wildlife biology major. “The new concept of natural resource biology will give students a choice of multiple concentrations as opposed to needing a minor to be able to focus on a certain aspect of one’s major.”

Reporter Kyla Hunt can be reached at news@collegian.com.