Authors: Jeff Dillon

Klint Kubiak’s trip back to his birthplace went about as poorly as possible.

The junior safety collapsed and was taken to the hospital shortly before kickoff in the Rams’ 38-27 loss at Houston Saturday.

According to a team press release, tests revealed Kubiak had suffered an ulcer, causing “minor internal bleeding.”

“They scoped and explored and found that an ulcer had developed,” said coach Sonny Lubick Monday during his weekly press conference. “They were trying to fix it. I know he needed some transfusions from loss of blood.”

Kubiak spent all of Sunday in the Houston-area hospital and was released by Monday did not return to Fort Collins.

Lubick said he expects Kubiak to be able to return to Fort Collins tomorrow, though he is not optimistic about his chances to play this Saturday at TCU.

“It’s doubtful,” he said. “He’s young and resilient – he wants to play. I think the trainer would be suspect of him playing on Saturday. We should prepare that he wouldn’t play.”

Kubiak, who has 111 tackles and one interception in three seasons at CSU, told members of the training staff he wasn’t feeling well before the game, and was at one point forced to take a knee during pre-game warm-ups.

His father, Gary Kubiak, is head coach of the NFL’s Houston Texans.

Senior Zac Bryson and freshman Michael Johnson got the majority of reps in replacement of Kubiak against Houston.

After playing well early, the Rams’ defense surrendered 35 second half points and 400 total yards to the Cougars offense in the loss.

CSU will also be missing starting long snapper Joey Madrid in its next contest, who suffered knee and ankle injuries at Houston.

Lubick said Madrid will not need surgery and that freshman Steve Bryan will fill in at long snapper pending Madrid’s return.

“(Madrid) had been money with his snapping,” Lubick said. “We’ve really appreciated his play. He won’t play this week, but we can get by in the long snapper position.”