Authors: Sean Star

The CSU football program’s losing streak has officially come full circle.

With the first day of fall Saturday, the same afternoon the Rams wasted a 14-point lead on the way to its 38-27 loss at the University of Houston, the streak has now endured each of the four seasons in succession.

Granted, games aren’t played in the spring.

The 10-game losing skid, which is tied for the second-longest in the nation with Utah State and behind Florida International at 16 games, started in almost the same way it continued Saturday.

Last October the Rams grabbed an 18-point halftime lead on the road only to have it slip away, starting what has now become the giant 10-game avalanche of disappointment.

Coincidently, football games are won and lost 10 yards at a time.

But many Rams are choosing to look at the streak differently.

“To be honest, it really didn’t seem like (a 10th consecutive loss),” said sophomore wide receiver Dion Morton. “Hopefully people really don’t think like that.”

Senior quarterback Caleb Hanie, who tied a career high with three touchdown passes against Houston, attributes the streak to a lack of consistency.

“It seems like we have one good quarter, one bad quarter. We can’t seem to put it all together for whatever reason,” Hanie said.

Though maybe inconsistent at times, the offense has improved from last year. After ranking 104th in the nation with 16.83 points per game in 2006, the Rams are up to 62nd this year after putting up 28, 28 and now 27 points on the scoreboard.

And as far as the defense goes, Hanie said the poor performance has been a product of playing “powerful offenses.” Houston’s 35-point second half outburst was certainly evidence of that.

“The only good thing is that we haven’t played a conference game yet,” said the senior quarterback.

CSU will make the trip south to Texas again next week to battle Texas Christian University to start Mountain West play.

If the Rams come home from the Lone Star State empty-handed again, they would have one more chance the following week to break the losing streak at home against San Diego State before it reaches a full year.

“It’s going to be tough, but I hope our kids can keep fighting to keep their heads above water,” said coach Lubick. “. You see who your guys really are. You gotta just keep on plugging away.”