Authors: Anica Wong

For the seventh year in a row, CSU will be “diversifying” itself at the annual Diversity Conference.

Entitled “Diversity in the 21st Century: National and Global Dimensions,” the conference boasts several prominent keynote speakers and sessions throughout this week, starting on Tuesday.

“(Students) are going to be living, working in a diverse society and they need to be aware of that,” said Dana Hiatt, the director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, which hosts the conference.

The first keynote speaker will be Andrew Young, who was a U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, a congressman as well as the mayor of Atlanta. Young’s talk will focus on advancing businesses both nationally and internationally.

Young will speak on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the main ballroom of the LSC.

The second keynote speaker to attend the Diversity Conference is Marcelo Suarez-Orozco, a highly acclaimed professor at New York University. Suarez-Orozco’s research deals with globalization, immigration and education, particularly in today’s day and age and will present on Wed. Sept 26 at 7 p.m. in the main ballroom of the LSC.

Hiatt also encourages the college community to attend the university dialogues that will be held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:30 p.m.- 4 p.m. in the Cherokee Park room in the student center.

The topics discussed will include information technology on Tuesday, infectious diseases and public health on Wednesday and sustainable enterprises on Thursday. President Larry Penley will be one of the panelists on the sustainable enterprise dialogue.

“The dialogues will be particularly interesting for students and faculty in that particular field,” Hiatt said.

Another highlight of the three-day long conference is the panel put on by Student Media. The panel will discuss the Don Imus controversy as well as the use of racially charged words and harmful speech in today’s media.

Four esteemed professionals will sit on the panel, including Kris Olinger, the director of programming in Denver for Clear Channel, the nation’s largest radio business. Joining Olinger will be Jean Torkelson, an award-winning reporter for the Rocky Mountain News who has covered religion and media; Westword writing legend Michael Roberts; and CSU’s own Dr. Brian Ott, a speech communication professor, book author and media scholar.

The panel will be held in room 230 of the LSC on Weds. Sept. 26 at 1 p.m.

“The world is not going to become less diverse,” said Hiatt as she explained the importance of the conference.

For more information about the Diversity Conference or a full schedule of events, please visit www.diversity.colostate.edu

Staff reporter Anica Wong can be reached at news@collegian.com