Alridge a big-play threat

Authors: Jeff Dillon

hey don’t call Anthony Alridge “quick six” for nothing.

Alridge, Houston’s senior running back, has a tendency for making big plays out of seemingly normal circumstances.

When he takes the field Saturday against CSU, the Rams will need to contain the playmaker.

Through two games this season, Alridge has racked up a conference-leading 461 all-purpose yards and has scored four touchdowns.

A converted wide receiver, Alridge has the ability to break free from defenders in the open field and turn what appears to be a small gain into a huge one.

Maybe the most impressive stat on Alridge’s resume is his 7.3 yards per carry, which ranks 18th in the country.

But that’s no surprise for the Cougars. Alridge averaged 10.1 yards per rush in 2006, making him the nation’s leading returning rusher in yards per carry this season.

With the departure of senior quarterback Kevin Kolb, who was drafted 36th overall in April’s NFL draft by the Philadelphia Eagles, the pressure is squarely on Alridge to ignite the Houston offense.

After seeing just 95 total carries a season ago, Alridge already has 40 this season, though Houston coach Art Briles said following the team’s season opener against Oregon, he hopes to give Alridge a lighter load.

“In Anthony’s situation we shouldn’t have to lean on him as much as we did against Oregon,” Briles said. “I don’t want to do that every week. He is a great football player and he brings a lot to the table for us and this football team, but there are 10 other guys on that offense besides him. We all, myself included, need to pick up the slack from where we can be a more balanced football team.”

Whether he touches the ball 30 times or three times, the Rams will need to key in on the speedy senior, or else “Quick Six” may turn out a quick victory for the Cougars.