CSU Symphony opens tonight

Authors: Elizabeth Fritzler

After much preparation and hours of rehearsal, the CSU Symphony will perform at the annual opening orchestra concert Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Griffin Concert Hall.

Some featured pieces will include Edward Elgar’s “Enigma Variations,” Libby Larsen’s “Parachute Dancing” and Christopher Rouse’s “Flute Concerto.”

Conductor Wes Kenney has been working with flute professor Michelle Stanley to master every aspect of the anticipated performance.

Tuesday’s afternoon rehearsal went smoothly, with only minor pauses and suggestions from Kenney to his 65-member orchestra. Of those, 13 are freshmen. Although no music major is required, membership in the orchestra is dependent upon an audition.

Jeanna Nixon, director of marketing and publicity for the arts, remarked on the quality of last year’s opening concert.

“The symphony concert was the first one I went to when I moved to Fort Collins,” she said. “I was amazed when I saw the orchestra. They’re really incredible, and it’s fantastic to think they’re students when they’re so professional.”

Jennifer Clary, marketing and publicity coordinator for the Music Department, agreed.

“They can accomplish so much in just a few weeks of school,” she said. “Kenney brings the most out of his students.”

Students in the orchestra are often not only committed to their music, but to their campus life as well.

Chue Vue, a viola player and deeply-involved student at CSU, expressed in an e-mail newsletter interview that he enjoys playing in the symphony because “Mr. Kenney constantly reminds us that the music on our stands is the same music that is on the stands of professional orchestras around the world.”

The senior music education major is also a resident assistant, GUIDE (Gaining Understanding through Involvement, Diversity and Education) paraprofessional for Housing and Dining Services and was involved in the first Men’s Project.

Tickets for the concert are $5 for students and $10 for non-students.