Cookin’ with no dough

Authors: Liz Sunshine

I got really excited at the beginning of this week when I woke up to find a gloomy grey sky with a chance of drizzle. It’s my favorite kind of weather and never seems to last long enough but always invokes my need for comfort food.

A hearty serving of chicken pot pie and mashed potatoes seemed in order as I donned my sweatshirt, so I went in search of a good recipe.

Paula Deen, a Food Network personality, is known for her down home cooking, so naturally that was where I started (and finished) my hunt.

Her “Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie”, referring to her and (shockingly) her two sons who are also foodies, is what I chose from her multitude of pot pie recipes.

I took a quick trip to the grocery store in which I picked up the cream, frozen puff pastry and a frozen bag of mixed veggies (I substituted these for the carrots, peas and onion) and headed home to begin.

I should have planned a bit more in advance here because I got home to realize the pastry had to defrost on the counter for 40 minutes. I had to improvise so I threw it in the microwave on defrost for a few minutes on each side (just long enough to cut the pastry into slices).

Beyond that minor snafu, making potpies from scratch is actually pretty easy and quite tasty. Everything goes in one big saucepan; I used my pasta pot since there are a sizeable number of ingredients.

After that you can make either individual pies, which is what I did, or make a casserole and just use one big pan.

My only complaint is that the amount of cream in this recipe was a bit over-kill. In the future I will likely cut the amount of cream with more chicken broth, but if you are looking for a hearty, rich meal, this will absolutely do the trick.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen, Food Network

4 sheets frozen puff pastry

1 egg, beaten

4 chicken breast halves, or 2 cups leftover cooked chicken

Seasoned salt and pepper

2 tablespoons cooking oil

1/3 cup butter

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 quart heavy cream

1/4 cup chicken base

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 small yellow onion, minced

1 cup frozen green peas, cooked

1 cup chopped cooked carrots

Pinch fresh grated nutmeg, optional

Crust:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut each sheet of frozen puff pastry into 1-inch strips, 8 inches long. On a large cookie sheet, weave strips into a lattice large enough to cover each pot pie. Brush beaten egg onto each lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes, or until dough has risen and turned light golden brown. Set aside until ready to assemble pies. Leave oven on at 350 degrees F.

Filling:

Season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saut/ until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into chunks. Alternatively, you may use precooked chicken.

In a large saucepan, melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but not brown like a roux. Slowly add cream and keep stirring. Add chicken base, garlic, and onion and stir until thickened. Add peas, carrots, nutmeg, if using, and cut up chicken. Remove from heat. Fill 4 individual oven-proof bowls with chicken mixture and then top each with a pre-cooked lattice square. Bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Any remaining pie filling may be frozen.