Authors: Tim Maddocks

New Belgium Brewing Company is preparing, yet again, to show Fort Collins how to save the planet and drink good beer simultaneously.

The 8th annual Rocky Mountain Sustainable Living Fair will be held Saturday and Sunday. And the local brewing company will attempt to practice what they preach by setting a zero-waste goal.

Last year there were 7,700 attendees and only 162 pounds of waste.

“It’s important to know there are choices. You don’t have to buy products that your mom always bought,” said Christa Carlman, assistant director of the event.

She also emphasized that you don’t need to have a lot of money to manage a sustainable lifestyle.

The fair includes 175 exhibits, 50 workshops, different demonstrations and youth oriented activities. There will also be keynote speakers, a variety of bands and a beer garden.

The annual event is especially important for young people, said Kellie Falbo, Sustainable Living Fair director.

“We want students to come,” Falbo said. “They’re the ones who are in the present learning situation. They can come and get a lot of information and can take that information to others.”

The fair itself is also a prime example of sustainable living.

Three bio-diesel generators and one hydrogen fuel-cell trailer will be providing all of the power. Free valet bike parking is offered to encourage people to ride bikes and carpooling is also encouraged. Yet, if carpooling isn’t a possible alternative, free bio-diesel shuttles will be running throughout Fort Collins all day.

New features were also added this year. The Natural Parenting Nook aims to educate parents about natural parenting. And the Zen Zone will have large Zen gardens and functioning yurts.

Various workshops will provide information as well, ranging form do-it-yourself solar paneling to recipes for homemade cheese.

“We’re not the experts but we bring the experts to the people,” Falbo said.

Several bands will be performing both days. Caleb Riley Funk Orchestra will headline Saturday evening and Dubskin will headline Sunday evening.

Staff writer Tim Maddocks can be reached at news@collegian.com.

—————————————–

Fair Location:

New Belgium Brewing

500 Linden Street

Fort Collins, Colorado

Fair Hours:

Saturday: 10am – 6pm

Sunday: 10am – 5pm

Fair Admission:

$5/day, Kids under 12 free

Purchase tickets at the entrance