Authors: Chris Seegers

Longboarding is quickly gaining a foothold as a legitimate, speedy and eco-friendly way to get to classes at CSU. But many longboarders – unaware of skateboard traffic policies – have become a thorn in the side of police and campus pedestrians.

Some universities across the country have addressed this issue by banning skateboard use on campus altogether, but CSU has taken a different approach.

“Essentially they (longboarders) can travel on the sidewalk, but they must yield to pedestrians,” said CSUPD Sgt. Chris Wolfe. “They can’t travel in bike lines or in the roadway, they are considered by municipal law to be a toy.”

The sidewalks pose a maneuvering nightmare for longboarders with limited space and awkward cracks and curbs. A few daring boarders have defied this situation by cutting in and out of pedestrian-filled sidewalks with no caution or respect for other students, Wolfe said.

“The number one rule is, pedestrians have the right of way,” he said.

Longboarders must also dismount for crosswalks and follow the laws that apply to bicycles.

“Dismount zones apply to longboarders as well as bicycles, they are considered a wheeled-vehicle,” she said.

Longboarders can also be issued a Bike Enforcement Education (BEEP) Ticket or a municipal ticket if caught riding in the roadway.

The CSUPD has not noticed an increase in longboarding-caused collisions and does not see the need for more regulations to be established.

“What we have is sufficient,” Wolfe said. “If it comes to a point where boarders aren’t obeying the regulations we might have to look at instating additional rules.”

For enthusiastic longboarders, the sidewalks pose a maneuvering nightmare for with limited space and awkward cracks and curbs. A few daring boarders have defied this situation by cutting in and out of pedestrian-filled sidewalks.

“People don’t realize that longboards don’t have brakes,” CSU student Justin Stoeber said. “People need to respect longboarders and longboarders need to realize that there is a time to skate and a time to carry their board. 11:50 in the morning at the LSC is not a time to skate.”

Despite obstacles and campus regulations, riders still want to ride.

“I think they are a good form of transportation,” CSU student Josh Schultz said. “They are a quick and easy way to get around.”

Stoeber said he favors longboarding over other forms of transportation due to its ease, speed and also because of the new smoother asphalt that has been laid in and around campus.

Staff writer Chris Seegers can be reached at news@collegian.com.