Greek life expanding

Authors: Ashley Emmons

This year, Triangle, Zeta Tau Alpha and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. are adding to the university’s list of Greeks.

Sonja Jensen, director of CSU Greek Life, said she is excited for the increase in houses.

“It is a big deal because we don’t typically see this type of expansion in one year,” Jensen said.

Triangle and Zeta Tau Alpha are returning houses that left campus and have decided to return.

Brain Tenclinger, executive director of Triangle, which left the university in 2006, said the chapter left because it was not very strong.

“After evaluating the situation last fall, it became clear that the chapter was not healthy,” Tenclinger said. “It had dwindled in size and it was very challenging for the four remaining guys to run it.”

Triangle currently has 13 members.

“We want to create a good environment by balancing academic careers with social opportunities,” Tenclinger said. “We want our organization to grow to a healthy level that will best represent CSU and Triangle.”

Zeta Tau Alpha will return to CSU on Oct. 1 to start recruiting. The organization left campus for its own reasons and decided this year to rejoin the CSU campus life.

“It was nothing that the university or the organization did or said that damaged the university relationship,” Jensen said.

According to Zeta Tau Alpha’s Web site, the purpose of their organizations is to “intensify friendship, promote happiness among its members, to perform such deeds and to mould such opinions as will conduce to the building up of a purer and nobler womanhood in the world.”

Sigma Gamma Rho is a sorority that has never been stationed at CSU and will be recruiting on campus this month.

Ollie Smith, president of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., said the organization wanted to be on campus to let women know Sigma Gamma Rho is there for them.

“Colorado State needs an organization like ours to bring like minds together, to encourage one another and to do community service,” said Ollie Smith, the president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Sigma Gamma Rho was established in 1922 and is now a worldwide organization. The sorority focuses on following their motto “Greater Service, Greater Progress” to attract new members and make the organization stronger.

“We want young ladies who are about career building, getting degrees and are interesting in giving back to the community,” Smith said.

Staff writer Ashley Emmons can be reached at news@collegian.com.