Meet a face in Greek Life

Authors: Ashley Emmons

Evan Welch is not just the new Assistant Director of Greek Life/ – he is also a cook, a new husband and is fluent in Spanish.

“Everybody I meet is super nice, and I am excited to start,” Welch said.

Before coming to CSU, Welch worked at Colorado College (CC) as a Resident Life Coordinator. After CC he was the Greek Life Advisor at University of Northern Colorado (UNC) for one year.

“I enjoy working with greek life,” Welch said. “I was not greek in undergrad and actually working with them has opened my eyes to see what Greek students are doing,” Welch said.

Director of Greek Life, Sonja Jensen, said that Welch will bring many positive things to CSU.

“We are excited to have him join our staff. He brings a lot of experience and ability to interact with our students in a positive way,” Jensen said.

Senior Heather Skeen, vice president of the Panhellenic Council, said she is excited about Welch’s new position.

“We are really excited for our Greek Life team. He has wonderful ideas and knows a lot about programming,” Skeen said.

Welch is originally from Vermont and after high school went to Venezuela for a year.

“It helped me mature a lot, for the first few months. I could not speak Spanish and this gave me a lot of time to sit and reflect; to learn about myself,” Welch said.

He added that he still remembers when he had his first dream in Spanish.

“I was so excited the next day and from then on I could communicate with everyone, not very well, but it worked,” Welch said.

After Venezuela he went to the University of Vermont for four years and majored in political science and Spanish. After working as a manager at the Gap, Welch went on to the University of Miami in Ohio and to complete his masters in science in college personnel.

After his masters he met up with some old roommates and moved to Colorado where he started working for CC.

Aside from working in higher education, Welch recently married and moved into a new house. He and his wife both work at CSU and ride their bikes to work everyday.

“It’s nice to have someone who actually understands what is going on and to be able to bounce ideas off of one another,” Welch said.

Welch also has a passion for cooking.

“I make a mean pineapple coconut curry, and I have perfected soft pretzels,” Welch said.

Reporter Ashley Emmons can be reached at news@collegian.com