Authors: Jeff Dillon

All eyes were on DeSean Jackson Saturday, and the Heisman Trophy candidate didn’t disappoint.

The junior wide receiver took a reverse run 73 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter of the Golden Bears’ 34-28 win over CSU.

“It was a great feeling having your blockers block for you and you can see the whole field,” said Jackson of his career-best run from scrimmage. “I had to make two dudes miss and from there I do what I do best, just take it to the end zone.”

Known for his deadly punt return skills, Jackson had a relatively quiet day after that run, finishing with just 39 yards receiving and 24 return yards.

“We got him a reverse and some some passes, and he dropped some passes,” said Cal coach Jeff Tedford. “It wasn’t the best game I’ve seen him play.”

CSU cornerbacks Joey Rucks and Darryl Williams each matched up well against Jackson, limiting him to just 5 catches without any double-teaming.

“Against a team that was supposed to be a high-caliber, high-octane offense, I definitely think we came out and played well,” Rucks said.

Rucks said he and Williams were prepared for Jackson.

“He’s a playmaker, there’s no doubt about it,” Rucks said. “But like I’ve always said, we’ve got some of the best receivers that I’ve ever covered in practice every day.”

Jackson gave credit to CSU for making giving the No. 10 Golden Bears a challenge.

“I tip my hat to (CSU), we came into their home stadium and they played 110 percent,” he said. “I kind of think they out-played us for a couple quarters but we did what we needed to do to win the game.”

141 – total yards for Cal receiver/return man DeSean Jackson

157 – total yards for CSU wide receiver Damon Morton