President Penley said Thursday that CSU could lose its grip if we don’t get more money. It’s a cry for help we’ve been hearing for years now. And it’s time someone lent the man an ear.

Next to our peer institutions, which include CU-Boulder, we’re getting the short end of the stick.

Frankly, we’re not as high a priority when it comes funding at the capitol. We’re CU’s pestering little brother. We don’t have a law school or medical school; hell, they called us “the farm boys” during the Rocky Mountain Showdown Saturday.

In an effort to overcome what he calls the “mentality of scarcity,” Penley slipped a last-minute amendment to state budget – a call that could have increased tuition drastically. While he’s received harsh criticism – namely from the Collegian – for what some legislators and students say was an unethical attempt to increase tuition, Penley’s heart was likely in the right place.

The biggest concern, student government leaders said, was Penley’s failure to have a dialogue with students about his plans to amend the state budget.

But since his thwarted attempt to close the credit gap (thereby increasing the cost of a CSU education), Penley’s office has made a legitimate attempt to work more with Student Media – the easiest way to communicate with students.

So, before we dismiss the president and focus solely on his previous mistakes – while commenting on his striking resemblance to Mr. Burns from “The Simpsons” – we should remember how tough his job must be.