Authors: Liz Sunshine

Date nights come in all shapes and sizes. I still enjoy a good date night with my best girl friend at Wendy’s but when inspiration strikes an old-fashioned boy-girl date is just what I find necessary for my evening.

Armed with a craving for Italian food, candles and a guy who knows wine I planned a fantastic (if I do say so myself) date night.

I believe that the Italian’s have it right when it comes to eating. A slow-paced meal with plenty of long-lasting intense flavors generally serves up excellent conversation. Not to mention pretty amazing foods.

My Italian repertoire consists of nothing more than Chicken Parmesan and Spaghetti with jarred sauce so I decided to try something new.

I made a sauce out of lemon juice, white cooking wine, cream and butter. So I don’t get a call from my doctor or mom I should note that I don’t eat like this all the time, just on special occasions.

While my sauce was warming on the stove I began to dredge (cover completely) my chicken, breasts cut down to tenders size, in seasoned flour and browned it in a hot pan with oil and butter in the bottom.

Once the chicken was browned I took the tenders out of the pan and tossed in one can of drained quartered artichoke hearts and three tablespoons of capers. I saut/ed the artichoke hearts and capers in the butter and oil mixture until the hearts had brown edges and then placed the chicken back in the pan.

I tossed the chicken mixture with linguini and then slowly began incorporating my butter sauce. Since it is rich, not all of the sauce is necessary unless you are cooking for more than four but is easily re-heated for a different dish if you so desire.

As another note I am unable (seriously, I don’t know how) to cook for less than four people, but generally everything tastes good the next day at lunch so I go with it.

With the table set, the lights off, candles lit and music playing in the background we plated dinner and poured the wine.

As a side dish I made a traditional caprese salad, which consists of slices of tomato, mozzarella, basil and olive oil. The salad gave our taste buds a break from the rich dinner, as did the wine

Treat yourself and your someone (be it man, woman, friend or relationship) to something special, it is both therapeutic and fun.

L’Chaim and B’Tay Avon (to life and eat well).

Recipe:

Date-Night Chicken

Butter Sauce

4 ounces lemon juice

2 ounces white cooking wine

4 ounces cream

1 pound (4 sticks) butter

In a sauce pan over medium heat combine lemon juice and white wine until simmering. Add cream and let reduce by one-third. Once reduced slowly begin adding butter until completely incorporated. Keep warm over low heat until ready to toss with the rest of the meal.

Chicken

2 tablespoons butter

oil (to cover pan)

/ cup flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)

1 pound chicken breast (cut into tenders)

3 tablespoons capers

1 14 ounce can artichoke heart quarters, drained

linguini

Place oil and butter in a large saut/ pan over medium heat. Dredge chicken in flour mixture and proceed to brown in the saut/ pan. Once all of the chicken is browned and set aside combine capers and artichoke heart quarters in the remaining oil and butter mixture and cook until soft.

Toss chicken mixture and linguini together and gradually add the butter sauce. Toss to coat and Enjoy!