Authors: Chris Seegers

The Ramskeller has been the site of many midafternoon beers and post-finals celebrations. The ‘Skeller is the closest place for a student to partake in a liquor of their choice. Although a cold draft may be the enticing factor for many patrons, there are a host of other reasons for current and past students to frequent the pub.

The Ramskeller, like many other establishments at CSU, has a history-rich past.

“It was established in 1968 and was university owned and run,” said Geoff Valdez, the current manager of the Ramskeller. “There was a request by the students to have a campus pub, and it was approved.”

The drinking age wasn’t always 21 at the ‘Skeller, and when the pub first opened, students above the age of 18 could partake in beers that were 3.2 percent alcohol by volume, Valdez said.

“It used to be a more happening place since the students could come from the dorms to have a drink,” Valdez said. “It was a lot bigger with full-sized pool tables and a bowling alley. . It used to occupy the basement and the only thing that is the same now is the floor tiles.”

The pub has remained open since its establishment in 1968 except for a two-year closure after the flood in 1997. It reopened in 1999 and has been going strong ever since. The pub has had a varied past with renovations and location changes but it still provides a safe environment for students to relax and unwind between classes.

“Times change and needs change,” Valdez said. “I’m just glad that we still have the privilege to consume alcohol on campus.”

The Ramskeller is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and boasts a wide variety of food and drinks. Although their food menu is not very encompassing, they offer a variety of snack items that go very well with your favorite brew. Along with food and drink, the ‘Skeller also has pool tables set up for students.

Late night events are often hosted at the Ramskeller by university programs such as ASAP and provide entertainment for students, often free of charge. Events that have been held in the past have been CSU Idol, comedy clubs and a variety of live bands.

Chris Seegers can be reached at news@collegian.com.