Authors: Kris Cote

Few things aside from beer and cheerleaders complement CSU football like Ag Day. For the 26th year in a row, Ag Day will dominate the Hughes Stadium parking lot before Saturday’s home game against the California Golden Bears.

Ag Day, an annual barbecue and celebration hosted by the CSU College of Agricultural Sciences and the CSU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, will run from 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. in the parking lot south of the stadium.

Tickets are still available for students and the public for the barbecue, said Pam Schell, an administrative assistant for Agriculture Extension Education at the College of Agricultural Sciences.

Tickets will be sold online until noon on Friday. Or, with cash or check, tickets can be bought from the Ag Day ticket office in the Shepardson Building on campus until 4:30 p.m.

The tickets are $15 for the barbecue or $45 for the barbecue and the game.

Anyone who buys a ticket can enter to win two round-trip airline tickets to any city Frontier Airlines flies, including Mexico and Alaska. Those who want to win need to fill out the info on the ticket stub and enter the stub in a raffle at the barbecue.

The barbecue also provides a place for Colorado agriculture companies to showcase their products to a large number of people, and it’s also a chance for people to sample foods that are grown locally, Schell said.

“The Ag Day feast is a chance for people to come and enjoy Colorado raised commodities,” Schell said. “Commodities like beef, corn, beans, potatoes, melons and more.”

Dennis Lamb, an animal sciences professor, has been involved in running the event since it began in the early 80s. He said that since then the event has grown significantly.

“I think Ag Day just started in the back of a pick-up truck,” Lamb said. “It has just kind of evolved from there. It’s growing really fast.”

All proceeds collected from the Ag Day celebration will provide scholarships for students in the College of Agriculture. Last year, the department was able to provide about 12 scholarships of $2000 to students, Lamb said.

Amanda Myers, a junior animal sciences major, is one of the scholarship recipients. She said the scholarship has really helped her out and that Ag Day itself is an important opportunity for her.

“The scholarship has just helped me tremendously,” she said. “And working Ag day gives me a chance to network with Ag companies and really orient my goals.”

Besides Colorado food, the barbecue will also feature activities and product displays from many local equipment dealers. Country music radio station K99.1 FM will provide live entertainment and the country music band K.C. Yates & Morning Star will be on stage.

The event usually has a high turnout and with 3,000 tickets to sell, it should be successful again this year, Lamb said.

“We usually have a traditional following of people who come year in and year out,” he said. “It’s really growing fast.”

Tickets can be purchased on-line at www.agsci.colostate.edu or http://ticketswest.rdln.com/Eventdetails.aspx?evt=56665.